Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2019 Recruiting

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by DJ3, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Herndon

Herndon Starter

Bingo, just think of him as 6'8".

He's clearly got some ball skills, and is at least an average athlete.

From the video his level of competition looks awful, but size is size and shooting is shooting. There are some pieces there for an interesting stretch big if he develops.

Actually, he plays point guard for his high school.

View: https://youtu.be/8GStvlUv324
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Idk what else to say other than he either won’t play for NC state next year or he will be a slightly better version than what we saw. He’s not good and wasn’t last year even with his decent stats. He was a starter with those stats as well....
  3. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Also not completely sure, but I think Greg Calixte is here because one or both of Dixon and Temara transferred. I'd take Calixte over Dixon, please.
  4. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Wasn’t even remotely suggesting that I’d rather have Dixon. Jesus, these boards are a cesspool.
    DJ3 likes this.
  5. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Your original point about Dixon had absolutely no point to it. I don’t think you meant this but Dixon is not a needed piece to
    Our program today and when paulsen recruited him
  6. dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie Hall of Famer Staff Member

If we are recruiting kids and counting on them to come in and be major contributors their freshman season, then we have much bigger problems.
    GreenLantern, mason89 and Herndon like this.
  7. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I don't know, other than VCU, freshmen were pretty big and important cogs at the top of the A10 -- Obi Toppin at Dayton, Osun and Lofton and Welch at St. Bonaventure, Carry at Duquesne, Luke Frampton and Brajkovic at Davidson -- I'll through Miller out there for us, Mar and Calixte last season.

I think we should be recruiting guys who we should expect to contribute right away at this point, if not necessarily be starters.
    patriot2000 and DJ3 like this.
  8. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I understand what you are saying, but we also already have a project in Josh Oduro (although this Waterman kid looks like he might be better suited to playing as a face-up power forward rather than a center in college, so who knows).

Like I said, I wouldn't mind taking his as the 13th scholly, but we're still going to need someone who will definitely be an impact forward in 2020 class and not a long-term project.
    DJ3 likes this.
  9. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

I agree. And sometimes long-term projects turn out to be not-so-long-term projects (Miller for instance). Bring em in and fill all the scholarships. Let them compete in practice, and if a recruit doesn’t pan out, they’ll probably realize it sooner rather than later and transfer in this day and age.
  10. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Yeah, if you want size, if you think about the potential starting 5 for his junior season (if he pans out): Xavier (6'2), Haidara (6'6?), Miller (6'6), Waterman (6'10), X player at least 6'9, that's a pretty big starting line (that would also be 3 juniors and 1 senior).
  11. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Idk part of me agrees with you, but part of me likes his jump shot.
  12. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

We have a scholarship to fill and DP will force him out if he sucks.
  13. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Watch a random crap P5 team like Rutgers or Penn State come in and take him out of nowhere...
  14. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/noah-waterman

Looks like we lost out to....Niagara....

So I've got some very mixed feelings about this. On one hand I'm relieved that he didn't take a scholly (I don't think we are in the position to be taking on project big men at the moment, we are thin down low), but on the other hand, we really lost out a recruiting battle with Niagara? I get it is close to home but damn...
  15. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

I like to think we brought him in for a late look, I didn’t see an actual offer. Not sure how many official visits the school gets for each class but maybe we had one to burn for 2019.
    Like a lot of people I wasn’t too excited about bringing in what looks like another project.
  16. Mason2005

Mason2005 All-Conference

Nope we didn't lose him to that school.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
  17. dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie Hall of Famer Staff Member

In football, schools bring in players for visits all the time without giving offers. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume the same happens in basketball. It wouldn’t make any sense for him to commit before checking us out if we offered. It would make a lot of sense if we were just offering a walk-on spot and Niagara said sh!t or get off the pot.
  18. JimP

JimP All-American

Not saying he won't have a good career at Niagara, but the level of competition he faced concerned me too. Public school ball isn't the best in upstate NY, gotta think it's even worse at a private Christian school. I'm pretty sure the Christian schools in my area of upstate NY sometimes play home schoolers.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  19. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Hey they went to the NIT in 2013.... more recent success than mason.

And Niagara has a new coach this season. He finished 1st three the past three seasons (d2). Some upside to playing for a first year coach. You know he is safe for the next 3 or 4 years.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  20. Mason2005

Mason2005 All-Conference

Didnt Troy play in upstate NY also. We all know how that one worked out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk