Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2017-18 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by GiantKiller_Co, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

2. Joe Shannon

Joe Shannon Starter

Re: Porter and ODU - there will be no one on our team next year that Porter has likely ever met (coaches or players), no reason why we can't schedule them.

Re: next year's schedule - anyone know how the conference matchups will go? Trying to figure out if we have a game at Umass next year - have friends in Boston to visit.
  3. DJ3

DJ3 Starter

No major names but they will still be challenging games especially in the Riviera Division.

Frenso state is still alive in the mountain west tourney. Have a rpi of 74. 18-11 record.

Louisiana tech is still alive in conference USA. 105 rpi- 21-9 record.
    Patriot8 likes this.
  4. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

I'd love to play ODU too. ODU came to EBA when Jonathan Arledge was on the team. Is there some sort of rule about playing against a regular transfer opposed to a 5th year graduate transfer?
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Five Two,

I assume that you have insider information on this.
  6. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

There are no rules about playing a team based on who is on he roster. I think Five two either knows or is assuming this based on a "bad blood" situation, not a rule.
  7. MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic Starter

Based on travel, it would make sense if the Cancun Challenge sends Binghamton and SE Missouri State to Fairfax. Both terrible RPIs. As long as those are our 2 cupcakes for the year (in place of Longwood and Prairie View), I think I'm ok with that.
  8. ephoops

ephoops Preferred Walk-On

If Binghamton plays Mason, it will be a reunion of sorts for the coaching staff with JC Show.

Show was the player of the year in PA as a senior in HS and played his freshman season at Bucknell during DP's last year at Bucknell.

Show transferred to Binghamton right around the time that DP left for Mason.

IIRC, the coach at Binghamton and Show's father are very good friends (Show's father was a college hoops coach for several years) and Binghamton was a little closer to home. Show also had some injury issues during his freshman season at Bucknell that limited his playing time. When healthy, he was an effective player in the Patriot League his freshman season. He was injured for much of his redshirt soph season at Bing this year.
    MasonFanatic likes this.
  9. JimP

JimP Starter

Show went down early in the year at Binghamton - I'm pretty sure he led the team in scoring at the time of his injury.
  10. Five Two

Five Two Starter

11. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Sixth Man

12. Joe Shannon

Joe Shannon Starter

St Peters and Vermont is considering "beefing" up your OOC schedule? What is that writer smoking. Dumb article.
  13. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Vermont is a pretty consistently good mid-major team: NCAAs in 2010, 2012, 2017; NIT in 2011 and 2014 -- that's 5 legit post-seasons in the last 8 years. I'm not sure who they return, but they were a good team last year.
    Patriot8 likes this.
  14. gmuballer14

gmuballer14 Preferred Walk-On

So who do you guys think are the top 4 teams as of now? I think we are in the top 4. In the mix is Rhode island, st joes, us, VCU, and St. Louis. Missing anyone?
  15. JimP

JimP Starter

Don't think I'd go that far for next year yet. Add St. Bonaventure to the list.
  16. MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic Starter

I believe Vermont has everyone coming back from this season's team. That's a quality game.

St. Peter's, though... ew.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  17. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I'd be surprised if we were top 4.

Rhodes Island
    St. Joes
    St. Bonnies
    Davidson, maybe (lose Gibbs, but still have Peyton Aldridge and has 4 star PG Kellan Grady coming in).

VCU and Dayton I'm sure will be in the mix even though their roster turnover is really high.
  18. Mason2005

Mason2005 Starter

Both vcu and Dayton are running with new coaches so who knows. Both also have a lack of PG right now.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
  19. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

A10 talk is a VCU blog. We landed a UVA transfer and the only thing they posted/tweeted was some hairbrained idea about having an east coast and west coast division of the A10 that doesn't play each other.
    GiantKiller_Co and sleeperpick like this.
  20. G M U

G M U Sixth Man

It's actually run by two freshmen at Davidson.