Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2015-16 schedule thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Plink833, Feb 3, 2015.

1. GMUSig03

GMUSig03 All-Conference

Of course Davidson will be the homecoming game b/c we idiotically always put it on a holiday weekend when most people are going to ski resorts/out of town.
  2. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

I always enjoy the homecoming game, however, I gotta say it has been several years since I've spent any length of time at the Block Party. I must be getting old (yeah, I'm getting old), but I just don't want to freeze my a$$ off in mid Feb. for hours on end any more. That's really why homecoming is for football - on a nice crisp Fall day, watching your team kick the crap out of a buy-a-win opponent (just don't pick App St. if you're Michigan, or JMU if you're the Hokies).
  3. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Hall of Famer

VCU apparently is doing their homecoming in November, which I find interesting.
  4. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Do they have a block party in the parking garage across the street?
    Pikapppatri8 and Dawgs99 like this.
  5. Five Two

Five Two All-Conference

I've said this in previous years, but the earlier we can hold Homecoming the better. There were years when Homecoming would be the last Saturday home game of the season. So any casual Mason fan who attended and jumped on the bandwagon had only 1 home game left to attend. The earlier the better so that there are more home games after Homecoming that can help boost attendance. I'm curious if that is VCU's rationale for holding it in November.
  6. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-American

It's not that. The other fraternities complain since I played eight years on the A team.
    TweederGMU likes this.
  7. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Many of their alumni return to town anyway then to take jobs as part time mall Santas, so it's logical.
  8. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 All-Conference

Mcdonalds must not allow a lot of their alumni time off during the holiday season :cigar:
    BandWagon18 and Washingtonian like this.
  9. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

It would be cool to try for a year or two doing home coming in October for a soccer game.
  10. A.-Siegfried

A.-Siegfried Starter

Been there, done that according to the people I've spoke with...
  11. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

Yep, Mason did that when I was there in the late 80s/early 90s.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  12. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Old Cubans first year we got midnight madness started. Brought in chuck booms and some bands, beer garden was approved but then axed by AD bc "we dont have a back up location for beer garden if it rains"...yep that was a real excuse. Homecoming switched to bball season at Old Cubans suggestion. Couldnt say no to him after going to the Dance in 2nd year.
  13. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

If Mason holds homecoming for a soccer game, the enemy officially has won.

Hold homecoming on Dec. 5 prior to the Penn game. It's one we can win, and early enough in the year that we can still have a crisp late fall day to enjoy tailgating even without football.

And as has been pointed out, a rousing environment and a big win could spur ticket sales for the A-10 schedule. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Makes too much sense not to do it.
  14. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

Who's the enemy in this scenario?
  15. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Pretty sure once again Jim is bashing illegal immigrants and their chosen game of preference futballs.
  16. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I don't hold on to antiquated notions about what is American or not American (if U.S. Soccer would have gotten its act together in 1919 instead of fracturing and fighting with itself over the direction of the sport in this country, we'd probably be playing the game in much bigger stadiums today). And I also think if you could get 2,000 fans who really wanted to embrace soccer culture and go for it, it would be a pretty unique and amazing experience as a homecoming. But I also know that won't happen, especially at the collegiate level. So I agree with you, an early season OOC home game as homecoming makes the most sense (the string of Valentine's Day homecoming games was just awful by the way, especially when we kept losing them).
  17. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

18. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Hall of Famer

19. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-Conference

20. psyclone

psyclone All-American

I'd bet that the 8pm weekday start is driven by TV, not a change in policy from the AD.